Private patient insurance options??!!

Begonnen von Steely, 04. September 2022, 11:07:53

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Steely

Hi!

My german language skills are rudimentary so hopefully my important question is allowed in English:

As an EU citizen I could travel to Germany for the nuss surgery as statutory patient IF I could get S2 approval from my home country.

However getting this S2 approval is not always easy (they do nuss surgery also here). This is why I have the following questions:

Do German hospitals offer any extra insurance that would cover any ADDITIONAL COSTS if something additional costs arise after the operation?

Example:
Patient pays 12 000 EUR for nuss operation when he arrives at hospital before the operation. Immediately after the operation patient suffers from major internal bleeding and spends several weeks at intensive care unit at the German hospital --> Extra costs would be super high (like >150 000 EUR).

If you have any knowledge on the subject, please share your wisdom.

I know many patients travel nowadays to another country to get some surgery done. I would guess there is some kind of insurance arrangement also for this kind of situations?

annaj

I can only speak for the S2 rules concerning Sweden, but I guess the rules applies for all EU states, but you need to check with your home country, there's infos on EU health care on the EU website, just google.

If you don't get any care within 90 days, you're allowed to seek health care in a EU country (Swedish rules). I know that swedish surgents are telling their patients that they don't want to support such act, but that's just not according to the rules. I had contact with many patiens who didn't want to wait for the swedish health care blessing (...) and paid the surgery cost themself, after they got the money back from the health insurance a few month after. Of course, you need to have a pectus excavatum or carinatum (or other deformation wihtin the thorax), which a MRI or CT scan will support.

If you need an extra insurance, you get one from an insurance company, not from the german health system. What country are you from?

It is extremely rare that something happens that require intensive care for a longer period of time. This is when you need to be careful which doctor you pick. Dr. Lützenberg for example very often does surgery on patients from EU or outside EU. You can contact him and ask what experience he has and what solutions he can offer.
Weiblich.
1989-2011/01 Silikonimplantat. (16 J)
2011/03 Nuss-OP (modifiziert), dr. Lützenberg, Berlin Charité. (fast 39 J)
2013/08 Stabentfernung, dr. Lützenberg, Uniklinik Magdeburg. Zusätzlich würde grossflächig Muskeln versetzt (versuch Brustrekonstruktion, Knorpel wurde abgeschliffen usw)
2014/04 Brustrekonstruktion, Silikon in beide Brüste. Kleine Korrektur 2014/09 bei dr. Lützenberg.